Here is how, in order to get a job in Canada as an U.S. citizen you will need the correct paperwork and information. First, you will need either a permanent residence permit, a work permit or even a study permit. You cannot legally work in Canada as a visitor! So let’s begin with the permanent resident permit. Once it has been approved you can then search for a job while still in the U.S but you cannot begin working until you have fully moved to Canada and have received your SIN (social insurance number).  
           Secondly, You have the option for a work permit or student visa without being a permanent resident. In order to get the work visa you have two options. You can get an open work permit or an employer-specific work permit. Although Canadian employers may need a LMIA ( Labor Market Impact Assessment) before they can hire you, but being a U.S. citizen, you may be eligible for a LMIA-exempt employer-specific work permit under USMCA, formerly known as NAFTA. The other option is to have a student visa and attend college or university in Canada. 
 Here is the list of paperwork required that the employer will ask you for:
  • Proof that you’re allowed to work in Canada: You must have a PR card, Confirmation of Permanent Residence (CoPR), work permit, or study permit to work in Canada legally.
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship, if applying under USMCA: Only citizens of the U.S. or Mexico can work in Canada under the terms of the USMCA. If you’re coming to Canada to work under this agreement, you must provide proof of your U.S. citizenship, such as your U.S. passport, certificate of citizenship, or birth certificate.
  • Social Insurance Number (SIN): You’ll need a SIN to work in Canada regardless of whether you’re a temporary or permanent resident. You can only get your SIN after you arrive in Canada and must share it with your Canadian employer within three days of joining the organization. 
  • Employment letters: Most employers in Canada will ask for employment reference letters, joining and resignation letters, pay stubs or tax returns that verify your past work experience. It’s a good idea to contact your former employers for employment reference letters well before you come to Canada. 
  • Educational Credentials Assessment (ECA): An ECA assesses your education credentials (degrees, diplomas, or certificates) from another country to verify that they are valid and at par with a Canadian credential. 
  • Identification documents: Your employer may require you to submit a copy of your passport or other government-issued identification to verify your identity.
In conclusion, you CAN work in Canada as a citizen of the U.S. but there are hoops to jump through! It’s also important to note that the requirements and processes for working can change, so we’ve included the link below to visit the official government website to get started! 

Canada, BlueRecruit