HVAC Hiring: Your Essential Guide To Recruiting Technicians
Are you a company in fire need of skilled HVAC Technicians to keep your systems running smoothly? Of course you are…maybe a better question should simply be, are you an HVAC company? Hiring the right people for these critical jobs is paramount for maintaining a comfortable environment for your customers. Here are some indispensable tips to help you nail HVAC hiring and secure the best Technicians for your team.
- Define Your Needs: Start by clearly defining the roles and responsibilities of each and every job. Do not create unnecessary requirements for roles such as having the same job descriptions for installers, service technicians, and helpers. A further example, not requiring Helper to have an active driver’s licenses. Consider the size of your team, the complexity of your work orders, and any specialized skills or certifications that may be required.
- Advertise Widely: You cannot expect to be able to hire all of your technicians and even less so all of your company’s roles on the same platform. For example, if you seek dispatchers, salespeople, and technicians, it is unlikely that you will find each on LinkedIn or Indeed. Instead, utilize industry specific tools, such as BlueRecruit, for technicians, and traditional job boards for office staff.
- Consider Cultural Fit: In addition to evaluating candidates' technical skills, consider how well they will fit into your company culture. Look for candidates who share your company’s values and are enthusiastic about the opportunity to work for your organization. Personality assessments and team interviews are a great tool for measuring these characteristics.
- Offer Competitive Compensation: To attract and retain top talent, be sure to offer competitive compensation and benefits packages. This may include competitive salaries, health insurance (on day one), retirement plans, and opportunities for professional development. For example, the current average pay for an HVAC Technician nationally is $34.90 per hour, and it is the most in-demand skilled trade in the US and Canada. Failure to maintain market pace will make it near impossible to hire.
- Provide Ongoing Training: Once you’ve found and hired HVAC Technicians, invest in ongoing training and development to keep their skills up to date and ensure they stay current with industry best practices and legal changes.
- Promote a Positive Work Environment: Finally, create a positive work environment when HVAC Technicians feel valued, supported, and appreciated. Recognize their contributions, provide opportunities for growth and advancement, and foster a sense of
teamwork and camaraderie.
By following these tips, you can find and hire the best HVAC technicians for your company, ensuring that your organization continues to grow, and your customers are satisfied and leaving those much valued 5 Star Reviews.