If you’re interested in working in the United States as a Canadian, there are several steps you need to take. There are also multiple different visas for different avenues of careers. To help choose what is best for you, we’ve listed below the different steps to take and some visas available.  

Step 1: Determine the appropriate visa category

        2: Obtain a job offer

        3: Obtain a Labor Condition Application (LCA) (if applicable)

        4: Gather documents

        5: Submit your visa application

Now onto the visas, these visas can be tricky to understand. Hopefully this can give you some basic understanding of what to look for when applying for the specific visa best for you.  

  • H-1B: visa is for Canadian professionals who have a job offer from a U.S. employer in a specialty occupation that requires a bachelor’s degree or higher. 
  • L-1: This visa is for Canadian employees of multinational companies who are being transferred to a U.S. branch, subsidiary, or affiliate of their Canadian employer. 
  • E-1/E-2 Treaty Trader/Investor Visa: Canadians who are engaged in substantial trade between the U.S. and Canada, or who are making a substantial investment in a U.S. business, may be eligible for an E-1 or E-2 visa. 
  • Permanent Residency: Canadians who have a U.S. employer sponsor them for permanent residency, such as through employment-based immigration categories. 
  • TN visas for NAFTA: Canadian citizens benefit from the United States Canada Mexico Agreement (USCMA), formerly NAFTA.

     Using the links down below you can start your visa journey! It’s important to note that the process of working in the U.S. as a Canadian can be complex and may require legal assistance. We recommended to consult with an immigration attorney or an immigration professional for guidance on the specific requirements and processes based on your individual situation.